|The Raccoons on Ice|
|Season 0, Episode 2|
|Air Date||December 20, 1981|
|Previous||The Christmas Raccoons|
|Next||The Raccoons and the Lost Star|
For the album, go to The Raccoons on Ice (album)
The Raccoons on Ice is the second of four Raccoons specials.
Plot #1[edit | edit source]
It's winter time in the Evergreen Forest, and Julie (voiced by Tammy Bourne), Tommy (voiced by Hadley Kay) and Schaeffer (voiced by Carl Banas) are enjoying themselves ice skating on Evergreen Lake. Also having a good time are Bert (voiced by Len Carlson), Melissa (voiced by Rita Coolidge) and Ralph Raccoon (voiced by Bob Dermer), who like to play hockey on the frozen lake... although Bert isn't very good at it (despite his bragging). When the children come inside after being promised hot chocolate by their father, Dan (voiced by Leo Sayer), Schaeffer goes off to join the Raccoons. On the way, he runs into Cedric Sneer (voiced by Fred Little), who is practicing his hockey too. He also meets a new friend: Sophia Tutu (voiced by Sharon Lewis), whom he compliments on her ice skating. Meanwhile, there is another individual who has plans for Evergreen Lake. Cyril Sneer (voiced by Michael Magee), always hungry for cash, plans on building his "Cyril Dome" sports arena on it. When he interrupts the Raccoons' hockey game to announce his plan, Bert is goaded into accepting a challenge to meet Cyril's hockey team, winner takes the lake. Meanwhile, Cedric meets Sophia after they bump into each other (literally!), leading to the Raccoons suggesting that Cedric join their team to save the lake. However, Cyril soon catches wind of his son's defection, and not only objects to Sophia being around him, but also grounds him for a month for siding with the Raccoons. But the Raccoons have a plan for the big game with Cyril's team of Brutish Bears.
Plot #2[edit | edit source]
It is wintertime in the Evergreen Forest. At frozen Evergreen lake, everyone in the forest goes to ice skate and play hockey. Schaeffer, the old sheepdog, goes down to the lake, where he and his friends The Raccoons are playing hockey. Cedric Sneer is also at the rink, too, where he meets Sophia Tutu, a female aardvark figure skater who takes an interest in Cedric.
Cedric's father Cyril Sneer has sinister plans for Evergreen Lake - he plans on building his 'Cyril Dome' over the entire lake. But as Cyril and his construction crew are ready to build, the Raccoons and their friends stop them in their tracks. Bert proposes that the two warring sides should play a hockey game to determine who gets the lake. What agreed Cyril trains his Bears for the game and the Raccoons ask Cedric to play on their side, which Cedric agrees to. As they train, Cedric shows great hockey talent, but Cyril spies on the Raccoons and he is displeased with his son siding with the Raccoons. He grounds Cedric for a month and he also forbids Cedric from seeing Sophia (or "Sofa-girl" as Cyril nicknames her) ever again.
However the Raccoons and Schaeffer continue to practice. On the night before the game, the friends decide to sneak into Cyril Sneer's mansion to ask Cedric if he will play alongside them. Cedric is too scared of his father's wrath to rejoin them. A moment later, they are almost caught by Cyril, who claims he can hear other voices and angrily threatens his son not to go anywhere near the Raccoons again.
On the night of the game, Cyril's Bears are pummeling the Raccoons team by 3-0. After Bert injures his hand, Sophia finally persuades Cedric to help out. Masquerading as a "mystery player", Cedric manages to tie the game 3-3. Cyril finds out who the mystery player is, literally kicking his own son off the ice and threatening to lock him in the dungeon. The team considers giving up, but Bert refuses to give up so easily. The rest of the team are spurred on by Bert's courage and they go back onto the ice to continue. Bert manages to win the game for the team in the last few seconds, thus saving Evergreen Lake from Cyril's greed.
The next day, Julie, Tommy and their father arrive at the lake and find skate marks from the game. They're utterly puzzled as to who left them, as the humans were never aware of the threat posed to the lake, leaving Ranger Dan to curiously ask Tommy and Julie if they've "been playing any wild hockey games" lately.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Aardvark workers (silent)
- The Bears
- Ferlin Fielddigger
Songs[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- First appearance of Snag (voiced by Michael Magee), Cyril's bears (voiced by Bob Dermer and Carl Banas) and Sophia Tutu (voiced by Sharon Lewis).
- This is the only appearance of Ferlin Fielddigger, voiced by the late Danny Gallivan.
- First time in all of Raccoons media to see a slideshow of screenshots from the special during the end credits. This practice continued in The Raccoons and the Lost Star and the TV series.
- This is the last special in which Melissa is voiced by Rita Coolidge, and the only one where Ranger Dan is voiced by Leo Sayer.
- New York Islanders hockey player Mike Bossy served as a consultant on the hockey game sequence. In recognition of this, Cedric wears an Islanders jersey, with Bossy's number "22".
- The characters are all far-more closer in style to the final series' characterizations (notably Ralph and Melissa, who previously seemed to have the same personality as Bert rather than their calmer, more intellectual forms, seen later). The animation had also progressed significantly from the first special too, notably the images of both Cyril and Cedric.
- Cedric and Sophia first meet in this special, and fall in love.
- First time we see the Sneer Mansion, called the Sneer Estate in this special. (It is also called Sneer Estate in "Simon Says!")
- Cedric notes his taste for chocolate pudding.
- First time Bert is seen without his shirt on, when he and Cedric swap for disguise.
- Evergreen Forest was never again shown in a snowy weather after this special.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Sophia: Oh, clumsy me, did I hurt you?
- Cedric: Oh no, I'm okay, are you?
- Sophia: I'm fine. My name is Sophia Tutu.
- Cedric: I'm C-C-C-C-C-C-Cedric Sneer.
- Sophia: Well, Cedric, I surpose I should get back to my swan glides.
- Cedric: S-s-s-s-s-s-swan glides?
- [Musical interlude: "To Have You"]
- Cedric: Sophia, can I buy you a cup of hot choc, em, lot choclate, err....
- Sophia: Hot chocolate? I'd love one!
- Cyril: Cedric! Were you skating with these creatures?
- Bert: Cedric has joined our team! Heh, heh, heh! Now, we can beat you!
- Cyril: Cedric! Tell me it's not true!
- Sophia: I don't think I like Cedric's father!
- Bert: Hey, we're the good guys, remember? So, we're supposed to win....right?
- Bert: Pass the puck!
- Sophia: Hi, Schaeffer!
- [Bert scores a goal while Schaeffer is distracted]
- Bert: Did you see that?! What a shot! Hahahahaha! I'm terrific! I'm a superstar! Phew! I'm worn out by my own brilliance!
- Sophia: Mr. Sneer, you should be proud of Cedric! Why he's strong, talented, good looking...
- Cyril: Who is this...thing?
- Cedric: Pop, this is Sophia Tutu.
- Cyril: Look here, Sofa-girl...
- Cedric: Sophia, Pop!
- Cyril: Sofa, couch, davenport, no matter! Stay away from my son!
- Cedric: [talking in his sleep] Sophia...Sophia...
- Sophia: Isn't he handsome? Like a sleeping prince...
- Cedric: Sophia? [wakes up] Sophia! What are you doing here?
- Sophia: We had to talk to you!
- Cedric: But if Pop finds you, he'll be crazed! He might even use the dungeon! He always wanted to, but no one ever comes here! You've got to go!
- Sophia: We will, but first, tell us you'll play in the game tomorrow night!
- Bert: We could win with you!
- Cedric: But Pop wouldn't like it! Why, I've already been grounded for a month...and no chocolate pudding!
- Sophia: Cedric, this is bigger than chocolate pudding!
- Sophia: Cedric Sneer, your heart is as cold and hard as a hockey puck!
- Cyril: You dumb jocks! You wouldn't even frighten Goldilocks!
- Melissa: What are you doing with all those ugly machines?
- Cyril: Progress, sweetie!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Raccoons on Ice/Gallery
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Raccoons on Ice/Credits